Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium is one of the most popular attractions in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, for families, tourists, and animal lovers. It is one of the only six major zoo and aquarium combinations in the United States, and it showcases more than 4,000 animals representing 475 species, including 20 threatened or endangered species. The zoo and aquarium cover 77 acres of parkland, where visitors can enjoy the naturalistic exhibits, the educational programs, and the conservation efforts of the zoo. Learn more!
What to See and Do at the Zoo and Aquarium
The zoo and aquarium have several areas and exhibits that cater to different interests and ages. Some of the highlights are:
- The Forest Passage: where you can see Amur tigers, snow leopards, red pandas, and other animals from Asia.
- The African Savanna: where you can see lions, giraffes, zebras, rhinos, and other animals from Africa.
- The Tropical Forest: where you can see gorillas, orangutans, lemurs, and other primates and tropical plants.
- The Islands: where you can see clouded leopards, Philippine crocodiles, Galapagos tortoises, and other animals from the islands of the world.
- The Jungle Odyssey: where you can see pygmy hippos, capybaras, giant anteaters, and other animals from the jungles of South America.
- The Aquarium: where you can see sharks, rays, penguins, sea turtles, and other aquatic animals from different habitats.
- The Water’s Edge: where you can see polar bears, sea otters, sand tiger sharks, and other animals from the coasts and the oceans.
- The Kid’s Kingdom: where you can see kangaroos, deer, sheep, goats, and other domestic and farm animals, and pet and feed some of them.
The zoo and aquarium also offer various activities and events throughout the year, such as animal encounters, behind-the-scenes tours, zoo camps, zoo lights, and sip and swirl. You can also join the zoo membership program, which gives you free admission, discounts, and other benefits. Learn more about Carnegie Museum of Natural History: A Place to Discover and Learn.